The popularity of alternative sources of electricity is constantly growing, and at the same time, there are new types of equipment. If a few years ago, manufacturers offered consumers extremely rigid solar modules, today the market presents flexible solar panels. According to the technical characteristics, they are in no way inferior to rigid batteries.
Flexible solar panels are made as follows; several layers of silicon are sprayed on the base, then electrodes are attached to it. The final stage is a lamination of the structure. Glass sheet or steel tape is most often used as the base. Ready-made panels can be bent and twisted into rolls, on their technical characteristics it will not be displayed in any way.
For the production of batteries also used polymer spraying with aluminum conductors. Thanks to this, they are light and thin.
Advantages and disadvantages
If you decide to use solar radiation as a source of electricity, be sure to study the advantages and disadvantages of flexible solar panels.
- Resistance to moisture and mechanical damage.
- High level of optical absorption of photons.
- Higher efficiency compared to rigid panels.
- Thin pliable structure.
- Possibility of installation on uneven surfaces and coatings of complex shape.
- Ability to work even in cloudy weather.
- Small installation costs.
- A variety of applications.
- Higher price compared to other types of solar panels.
- Short service life about 3 years, after that you will need to replace the modules.
- In addition to batteries, you will need to install other expensive equipment.
- Long payback period of the structure.
Flexible modules are used as a worthy alternative to roofing material. To do this, they must be fixed on the roof of slate, tiles or metal. This design not only gives the house an original look but also serves to generate energy. Rolled into a tube of flexible panels you can take with you camping as the primary source of electricity. Lightweight allows you to carry them over long distances.
When choosing and buying flexible solar panels, you should pay attention to some parameters: power, weight, voltage, and material.